I recommend the course to anyone considering building a house, undergoing a renovation or design enthusiasts interested in learning the foundation to a well designed and decorated home. You may still hire a designer after taking the course however, now, you'll be more prepared and have an understanding, not to mention an appreciateion, of the design process.
Here are 5 highlights from the course;
- Before making purchases of any kind – PLAN. Consider the floorplans, furniture placement, lighting, budgets and the desired mood and look you want to achieve before spending any money. Be prepared to pass up something, no matter how much you like it, if it doesn’t meet your defined criteria and plan.
- Don’t take on a room until you have the budget to complete the entire room. By waiting, the end result will be that much more rewarding.
- Think of your main floor as an outfit, get an idea of your desired look before purchasing anything.
- The purpose of paint is to make sure everything else in the room looks good. therefore, you need to have thought though everything else (see #1) before you paint.
- 20% of your design budget should be reserved for styling, i.e. accessories.